Thursday, January 15, 2009

Artists and authors

It's no secret that encouraging our kids in what they are doing is the best way to keep them doing it. This seems especially true with kids and their work.
.
One of my favorite ways to do that is by “publishing” books for them. This can be as simple and inexpensive as taking their writing and art and cutting and pasting it into a cute journal from the dollar store. Or just giving them a small, blank scrapbook to create a book. I keep a whole box of these, ready for the taking. There's not a book in here that cost more than $1.
Also in this box are inexpensive photo albums that they can slide their individual book pages into, easily making a hardbound book of their own.
Here is a book that we made just by folding some cardstock, punching two holes in the center, and tying yarn through it to bind it. So simple
This one was a scrapbook, turned into a poetry book with a little cut 'n paste.
Keep your eye open at Dollar Tree and the dollar section of Target and when you see some, stock up. Don't let them scare you off if they have a Christmas tree or something on the front, we just cover that up by gluing a paper with the title of the book and art onto the cover.

Sometimes you can catch photo websites such as shutterfly.com and snapfish.com when they are having a free book deal. I used one of these opportunities to publish a book Riley had worked really hard writing. All I had to pay was shipping.

This was fun also because I could add stuff like a "Meet the Author" page.
I also try to treat their art very seriously. If it is something really special to them, I like to frame and display it. That doesn't happen as often as they would probably like, but I try. Here are a few of ours.
Here is my new favorite. Cole made these pictures for me. He drew my favorite coffee cups. I love this so much.
I want them to know I think their art is worth a lot to me. Plus, it’s adorable! Be on the lookout at garage sales and dollar stores for frames for this, too.
.
Something about having your story in book form, or your painting on the wall, makes you feel like your work was worth the trouble and makes you eager to do more.
.
It can be cheap and doesn't take much time. It's worth the extra effort!

11 comments:

Mandy said...

Pretty sure you are always just reading my mind. It's kind of freaking me out. :) Love your ideas. Love the coffee mugs.

Anonymous said...

This is so special! Yes, we have art work hung all over the house. We like to make books too, although with my scrapbooking addiction I think I go a bit overboard.

Nicole Knox said...

I cant wait to do this. Thanks sweet friend!

Anonymous said...

Wow! These are really great ideas. My daughter will love the idea of having a tote full of books to fill!

SheriYates said...

This is just awesome Deleise! I love how you treasure their things because of the maker! sooooo sweet!

Tina said...

I LOVE THIS !!!! I will on the look out to stock up now !!!

Question though how do you handle it when you don't chose to mount one of their pictures ?

Thanks for the great idea !!!

Anonymous said...

didn't know you had a homeschool blog, too. sheesh. over-achiever. love the framed artwork. i stink at this. in your spare time...which would be, what...midnight? can u come over & do this for me? k. thanks.

you're awesome.

Sara said...

Great blog!

Sara said...

Great blog!

Sara said...

Great blog!

Anonymous said...

Ιt's hard to find well-informed people on this topic, but you seem like you know what you'гe talking about!
Thanκs

Also visit my wеb sіte tens pain relief