Wednesday, April 29, 2009

More on writing

One of my favorite ways to teach writing/grammar is by letting my kids have their own blogs. We are fairly new at it and I pretty much allow them to write about whatever they want. I don’t edit or make suggestions on content because I feel like the more they own the writing, the more they will get out of it. I want this to be something they desire to do for fun. I don’t always correct spelling in the beginning, but as they mature in their writing, we discuss correct spelling more.

Yesterday with blogging we were able to discuss and practice writing directions, contractions, when to spell out number words, compound words, and capitalizing brand names. And it was all done in a natural way just from what they had chosen to write about. No worksheets that will be forgotten tomorrow, but real learning that meant something to them because it improved their creation.

The novelty of blogging encourages their writing. It’s fun to add pictures and to see the work appear on their own page instantly, knowing friends and family will be reading it soon. The feedback they receive makes it worth the effort! They love to get comments. And the thought of publishing for other people provides just enough awareness to make them a little more conscious of how they are writing. It’s a great tool! It’s fun and free and is only available to those who are invited to view the blog. I think it's also going to be a great keepsake for them.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I've also let my 2 big kids start their own blogs, but I've not had them post lately. great reminder for me to do that!

Kelsey said...

It's so fun to read their blogs! See you later.

erin said...

That's a good idea! All we had was a Commodore 64 growing up, so blogging was not even heard of, but my Mom had us do daily journals.

Misti said...

I love this idea! Jack is only six and he's still dictating his writing, but he does occasionally post to our blog. When he can type it himself, I think perhaps he will get his own blog! Thanks for the great idea!