Sunday, September 20, 2009

It happened again.

We love books.

We have gazillions of them. I just believe that if we need to learn about Thomas Edison, we can do that so much better with a biography of his life than anything else. I want my kids surrounded by great literature. But last week something happened that just about put me over the edge. It has happened before, and it happened again.

I once again bought a book I already owned.

This experience sent me on a crazed organizational venture.

Yesterday Riley and I pulled hundreds of books off of their shelves. We separated them into piles according to subject. We had piles for Historical events and people, Artists, Animals, Science, Five in a Row, and Geography.

Some time ago, some brilliant homeschool mom gave me the idea of color-coding books. And that's what we did. On all of the books about geography- countries, states, etc. we stuck a yellow label at the bottom of the spine. We did a different color for each subject.

As we put the labels on, I quickly typed the title onto a list.

Now I have a list of every reference type book that we own. Every biography, every space book, every whale book, all of it.

I put each subject list in a page protector and I hung them all next to the shelf. At a glance I can see what we have! And I put extra labels in the page protector so I can easily stick them on new books.


Now whenever we finish a book, it gets stuck back on the shelf with it's coordinating color. You can easily glance at the books and notice if a book is in the wrong place because the color will not match the rest. Even if they happen to get mixed up, it will be a breeze to put them back where they belong.

So no more trying to search through a sea of book spines to see if we have any books on Helen Keller. Or weather.
No more reserving Five in a Row books at the library because I forgot I had it on my shelf.

.
Isn't it pretty?


And it's easy enough that even a preschooler could get the books back where they belong.
.
Ahhhhh...color-coding.
.
Color-coding=peace.

13 comments:

Vanessa said...

Super good organizing! Props! I love your blog, I plastered links to it on my blog for my family to get an example of homeschooling older kids and how awesome it can be. I hope you don't mind :).

deleise said...

Of course I don't mind! I need to do more posts on my older kids... I guess my posts sometimes lean more toward the youngers just because their stuff is cuter. ;)

My Blessings From Above said...

BRILLIANT!!!! I need to do this!

Marcie said...

I love organization!!! (Don't expect to find any at my house, but still... I'm a fan...)

Nicole Knox said...

I want to do this, but I need to get more books=)

Kelsey said...

That is a great idea!

Heather said...

It's pretty all right! I might have to do this one...

I drive my tractor in pearls... said...

I keep a list like this on my phone of our movies...

Will do this with books after I unpack them all. I have done this and then feel like kicking myself too :)

Jen said...

Um, are you for hire??

erin said...

Wow! I'm impressed and I love it!

Heather said...

Love it!!! I have mine on a shelf and they are together based on content, but I love love love the color coding idea!!!

Jenn said...

I SERIOUSLY need to do this. I've also purchased the same book more than once and it is SO frustrating. I feel like books are hiding in every nook and cranny in our home.

Dana Leeds said...

Love it! I have re-bought books quite a few times, too. It's great if my daughter is with me as she always seems to know what books are on our shelves. :-)