Saturday, August 30, 2008

A little oceanography

This week we kicked off our Planet Earth study. We are going to be watching these amazing DVDs and following up with research, reading and activities.

We started with Shallow Seas. It was incredible. If you haven't seen any of these DVDs, check them out!
Here are some of the books we are using as we go through our ocean study.

I can't get this picture to turn, and I'm done trying. Oh, and everyone, meet my toes.

Since we are nowhere near an ocean, we took a trip with friends to an aquarium this week. We got to see some amazing things we have never seen before. I think everyone's favorite part of the aquarium was the stingray and shark petting tank.Most of the kids at the tank were able to use their hands only, and walk away dry...yeah, most...
Hey, look! Cole went with theme clothing. We totally did that on purpose.

Watching the shark feeding.

It was Homeschool Day and they had classes for the kids. The younger ones had a shark class and the older ones a pirate class. I got some pictures in the classes they attended, also. A really great one of Riley and Cole looking through a real shark's jaw, and one of Cole holding a shark tooth as big as his hand. And then my camera said "formatting error" and I fell on the floor and sobbed like a baby. Not really, but kinda, and now my pictures are gone, anyone know how to get them back?

Garrett, Tyler, and Riley's wrap-ups after the field trip.

A little "stained glass" ocean art.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You should really check out Pagoo for the older ones! Good stuff.

deleise said...

What is Pagoo???

deleise said...

Never mind, I just reserved it at the library.

Cissa said...

I don't know if you've tried this, but sometimes when my camera says formatting error, it just means that it can't read it on the camera. Sometimes they pull up on the computer. You might try reading the card through some different programs if you have them.
If not, I'm sorry and I know how it feels. My oldest son never turned 4 if you only took your knowledge of events from pictures. Yeah, that one stunk!

Marcie said...

The Planet Earth DVDs really are fantastic. I bought them for Devin for Father's Day last year. We look forward to sharing them with Noah.

Heather said...

dude. you stole my unit study!!

Looks like you guys are having a lot of fun...wonder if I can find those DVDs!!

Heather W

Heather said...

oh! I was able to reserve the DVDs at my library...score!