Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Our first day 2008

Today was our first day of school. We spent the day looking at our new stuff and discussing what we would be doing. It was fun just hanging out and talking and getting back into a routine.

We looked through a book about nature journaling, and then went on a nature walk. I love nature walks because they help everyone appreciate the beauty that is around us and they always naturally lead to other lessons.



Does anyone else find this funny? We are in the middle of nature finding all kinds of cool nature things and what do you know, we find a cherry. From our Hi-Ho-Cherrio game.


Riley sketched a couple of things she found. These things led us into a conversation where I introduced her to compound words as she labeled her mushroom. We also talked about past tense and writing -ed when she wrote uprooted. I love the natural progression of learning this way.


Garrett and Tyler were looking at something with a magnifying glass which led to
melting chocolate with a magnifying glass in the sun...

And that led to…you guessed it, lighting leaves on fire with a magnifying glass, which led to a lovely lesson in fire safety and why burning our house down in the name of a science experiment could possibly lead to regret…and how we must try to avoid regret. Anyone feelin' an "If You give a Mouse a Cookie" book comin' on?

We also did our traditional diet coke and mentos experiment that we always do on the first day.

And then we took a break for showers.

We ended our day by meeting David at Incredible Pizza to celebrate the beginning of our school year.


I can not tell you how thankful I feel today that I get to do this with my kids. Sure it is challenging sometimes, but we are smack in the middle of each other’s lives, and I couldn’t be happier. It is truly a blessing.

As we get started on some of our units this week I will be posting what we are doing so stay tuned!

6 comments:

My Blessings From Above said...

What a great first day! My boys have been bugging me all summer to do the diet coke/mentos experiment all summer. I need to add this to our first day. It will be a nice surprise! We start next week!
Michele

Marcie said...

I seem to remember looking forward to the first day of school as I grew up, but WOW! I never had a first day of school as awesome as that! Education really can be fun, huh?

Anonymous said...

fun!! thanks for sharing!

Theresa said...

I swear you were born to be my mother. LOL

Great way to start the school year! Makes me think about homeschooling...OK I'm done thinking about it. Kids get on the bus and get to school!! :)

Sue said...

Sounds like a great first day. All of you are going to have a great year!! I'm eager to see what comes next. Love you.

Mom

Robin Meadows said...

ahhh..brings back memories! You're SO not ever going to regret this!! I promise :)