Wednesday, September 10, 2008

History fun with American Girls

We have been learning about Colonial America by reading the American Girl books about Felicity. This is such a fun way to learn history!

We are reading all six Felicity books, but we are also using this book.

It is a picture book full of information about the late 1700s presented in a fun and interesting way. I love this book! We have learned about everything from how they cooked their food, to politics of the time, to crafts that the little girls did in that day, lifestyles, and lots of stuff in between.


We made breakfast puffs from the Felicity cookbook, just like the little girls in the 1700s used to help their moms make!
They were so yummy!

Today we had some friends that are also studying Colonial America with Felicity over for a Colonial garden tea.





Last night Riley and I made Raspberry Flummery, a dessert served in the 1700s after an elegant meal, for our tea party.

The girls came over and we made a craft. We talked about the hot clothes and corsets the girls had to wear and we made fans for them to take to their garden tea.

I bought some music online from the 17oos for us to listen to as we did our activities. The girls figured out what instruments were used and we talked about how different it was from what we listen to.Check out the pinky.

Felicity! The guest of honor!

We had a great time with our friends!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

This is so cool! I'm just dying to meet you. We're moving to OK in the next couple of weeks, as my husband took a job at LifeChurch. I've asked that Christi introduce me to you. Your kind of homeschooling is an inspiration. :)

Marcie said...

How fun was that?!? What a great way to learn about history. Reminds me of what I learned about pioneer life from Laura Ingalls Wilder. I don't think I ever had quite as much fun as Riley and her girlfriends though...

Heather said...

Oh now my R8 would love this! I was thinking of using Felicity during our Betsy Ross Beyond unit...

That looks like it was tons of fun.

Heather W