Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Just go with it

I like themes. I just do. It makes me feel happy when things go together.

I love unit studies and honestly think kids learn better with them. It just seems natural to learn about things that are related to one another. The downfall is I am certain that sometimes I am a little too focused and this probably causes me to miss out on learning opportunities because "we aren't studying that right this very minute." What? The president of the United States is next door? Awww...too bad we are in the middle of a volcano unit...I guess we'll pass.

Alright, I'm not that bad, but I do admit that I could use some work in the area. Following my kids' lead even if it does take us off topic, usually results in some amazing learning experiences.

Since I have been more conscious of this lately, I seized the moment when Cole excitedly brought me a magazine with a picture of a walking stick bug. I admit, there was a part of me deep down that had a little anxiety attack because BUGS? That's for spring! It's winter! Stop the anarchy! But I kept it inside and dug into the topic with him.

We read everything we could find about them. We learned that they moult and eat their skin for the protein. We learned that if they lose a leg, no worries, they grow another one. We learned that they sway like the wind when they move so they are not only looking like sticks, but acting like them. Then we spent forever online looking at different camouflaged insects. By now we had several other participants looking with us. We marveled at how amazing God is that he could be so creative and care so much for something so small.

Then we headed out for a nature hunt to find the perfect sized sticks to make our own walking stick bugs.











It was an incredible learning experience. One that would have been missed if I would have stuck to my agenda or if I only did things that I planned.
.
Bugs have nothing to do with Antarctica. And I'm okay with that.

My name is Deleise. I'm a recovering themoholic.

5 comments:

Kelsey said...

Those are some cool looking bugs!

Jen said...

Those are so cute! I'm totally stealing that idea--hopefully in the spring! ; )

erin said...

I'm so like this too! And with a 5 & 3 year old that just doesn't work! I'm so glad you can help me with this area.

Anonymous said...

How clever!

Janna Goodwin said...

oh my gosh....we have the same disease. wow...we are soul homeschool mom freakish sisters. have to have a name for what we are, kind of like a theme. LOL. talk soon. on to reading more of your blogs. getting so inspired. great talks today---really, great talks! i am so excited to continue on the hs road with you and our sweet natalie right along with us.