Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Mountains

We have been learning about mountains with our Planet Earth DVD. This week we wrapped up our research and papers with a trip with friends to the Wichita Mountains. We went to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. It was great! They have a museum there that we weren't even expecting, and we did a lot of exploring.

lunch on the lake.




We found a log beavers had chewed on.

Mountain exploration!













Checking out the museum.


Riley and Cole did the Five In A Row book "When I Was Young In the Mountains" by Cynthia Rylant to go along with our mountain study. In the book the little girl talks about hearing a bobwhite. At the museum they had a stuffed bobwhite and you could push a button and hear its call. Score!

The story takes place in the Appalachian Mountains, so we learned a lot about them. I got an idea from the Five In a Row message boards to make this cake, complete with tiny chocolate Appalachians. I don't think any of us will ever forget where the Appalachian Mountains are! We are moved by chocolate, we are.


We also made a mural of the mountains and animals that live there.

Good times!

8 comments:

Lynn Hasty said...

Very cool stuff! I love it.

Lynn

Anonymous said...

Seriously? Seriously you just made a cake of our country with the Appalachian mountain range? You are amazing. Not to mention the incredibly fun trip you took them on and the rockin' photos you managed to get. Excellent stuff.

Marcie said...

Makes me want to visit the Appalachians... I do love chocolate!
By the way... love the "muriel".

Jenn said...

I love any idea that can be made into a dessert. I LOVE the Appalachian mountains on that cake! What's your favorite online spot for getting new five in a row ideas?

deleise said...

Jenn, the FIAR website has an archive section for each title, that's where I got the cake idea.

Kelsey said...

I cannot wait to take my boys down there! I've been telling (bugging) Matthew about it for awhile now. Guess I could wait 'till there a little older. :) Looks like you all had a blast. And, I love the cake!

Anonymous said...

What fun! Love the cake idea! My boys would love that!

Anonymous said...

I love that you share your ideas! Man! I could have used your thoughts many years ago!! :)