Thursday, March 5, 2009

Money fun

One thing that still catches me off guard is how simple it is to teach when you are just working with one or two kids instead of a whole classroom. When it was time to teach Riley and Cole about adding money I approached it with a classroom setting method. Write the numbers, look at pictures of coins and add them together, blah, blah, blah.


Then it hit me. Hello? I want them to learn how to add money so they can, you know, add money. So we ditched the math book and dumped out a big stash of coins that David may or may not use for poker.

The difference in touching and sorting and adding real coins was no comparison to the workbook sheet we had started with. It made it real.


After playing with and adding the coins, we moved on a did the original worksheet. It was a breeze after the real life experience.

It's always better with the real thing!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I am so gonna use this one! I was reading an article while treadmilling this evening about math journaling. This type of activity would be perfect.

My kids would LOVE this! So simple.

dubya

Kelsey said...

Bet Cole had a blast with all that math!