Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hitty

I feel like I don't post very often about work that only Garrett is doing. It is just hard for me to fashion an interesting post out of symbiosis and pseudopods. And I just don't think that discussing the Diatoms in the Phylum Chrysophyta would grab your attention and make you want to read more. Oh, those diatoms. They are a crazy bunch.


But I wanted to post something he does on a regular basis that you might like to use also, if you have a 12-14ish year old. It is called Above and Beyond Five in A Row. He is reading the Newberry award winning book Hitty, Her First Hundred Years. And following the book of activities. It is pretty much self-guided and picks what he wants to learn about and do with each chapter. He keeps a notebook of what he has done. It covers art, cooking, history, science, language arts, and other things. We have both learned a lot from it!

He made gingerbread from the book




There is plenty of vocabulary and art


Learning the history of a quill pen and and how to use it

Science

Learning about what causes sea-sickness

And other ocean discoveriesIf you have an older child, this might be something he or she would really enjoy. It's a relaxed, interesting way of learning that they can be in charge of. And you know how they like to be in charge. Check it out!

4 comments:

Nicole Knox said...

It was greating meeting you last night! I cant wait for our friendship to grow, and learn from you. Thank you for your sweet blog=)

Heather said...

Awesome stuff. Thanks for the post. Hitty awaits us in the next few years.

Heather W

Anonymous said...

I was actually thinking about using this after Christmas. How has it taken you all to get through it? would he get through by summer and I read somewhere it was about a doll? is your boy cool with the book? I would love to hear more... thanks!

deleise said...

We are going through it pretty slowly just because he is fitting it in between some pretty intense co-op work. I think it is up to you how long you take. He is fine with it. I haven't read it, but I understand that the doll is just the means to get you to the place and the 100 year time period. It's not like a book about a kid playing with a doll or anything like that.