Monday, October 20, 2008

Expanding vocabulary with I SPY

Do you use the I Spy books with your elementary kids? I forgot how wonderful they are until this morning.

We pulled out an I Spy big book that I have had for years. In the 30 minutes or so that we looked through it, I was amazed at how many new words were added to Riley and Cole's vocabulary.

There are literally thousands of items in the book to spy, so you are likely to find words that your kids haven't been introduced to.

I had no idea they didn't know the word "nut" (the kind that goes with a bolt. Hello?). There were a couple of other words like that I had just assumed they knew, but they didn't until today. They also learned the word abacus, dreidel, some new vegetables, and several others.

Building vocabulary is so important, so I just wanted to share a simple and fun way to add some new words!

3 comments:

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

I just ordered one from paperbackswap.com. Went searching and found the I Spy Little Numbers already in the system waiting for someone to select it! Thanks for the recommendation!

Laura said...

We LOVE I Spy books!

Anonymous said...

These are great books. I think they help teach "detail" too...and probably eye focus. Besides, it keeps the kids busy for quite a while. :)