Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The power of learning by teaching

You know how you feel like you have learned so much since you started teaching? Of course it is because you really have to know what you are talking about to be able to relay the information to others. You have no choice but to learn!

I've found this to be a very valuable tool for getting my kids to own what they are learning. I have them teach me.

For example, today Tyler began a Ben Franklin biography. It is full of a lot of information beginning with Franklin's childhood. Tyler's assignment was to read the first 30 pages, and then teach me what he had learned about Ben Franklin so far. He did a great job of explaining details and trying to get me interested in what he had read. He even referred back to the book several times to check facts and remember something that had slipped his mind as he "taught" me. It was a great reiteration of facts for him and really helped reinforce what he had learned.

Having them actually teach you or their siblings puts a more interesting and fun spin on comprehension and review.

Try it!

2 comments:

Nicole Knox said...

Thank you so much for your blog it is teaching my husband and I a lot about home schooling.

Anonymous said...

Great idea, Deleise. I also saw this work with older kids teaching younger kids (Erin taught Katie, 10 years younger, phonics and how to read).